Storm dropped snowfall as expected last night across Utah. A break in the action for a few days before unsettled and cold weather returns for early next week.
Our storm rolled through last night and brought a relatively quick but heavy bout of snowfall to northern Utah. Areas southeast of the GSL saw some enhancement and therefore the highest accumulations. Sandy, Cottonwood Heights, Olympus Cove areas on the benches got 4-6″, with 1-3″ in the valleys. The forecast was for 4-8″ in the higher elevations with more possible in the Cottonwoods. Based on automated stations, this seems to be a good bet for most areas. Alta and Snowbird are both reporting a FOOT of new snow this morning, so they did quite well for themselves.
Cold air left in this storm’s wake will allow for good snowmaking today and tomorrow. On Friday, Brighton opens. Then, PCMR opens on Saturday if I’m not mistaken. So we will finally be able to get some lift-serviced runs in.
We return to more active weather early next week. As mentioned yesterday, the models have been trending to dig our next system south down the California coast before traversing the desert southwest. That means that the best dynamics and moisture will be in Southern Utah and Arizona. We should still see a moist northwesterly flow develop, so areas like the Cottonwoods can still do very well. Especially if we get some help from the GSL. But, it will not be the widespread significant snowfall we were hoping for a few days ago. Here is the forecasted QPF for the next week for the Upper Cottonwoods from the University of Utah. You can see the general upward trend Sunday-Tuesday of next week:
GFS right now has another storm for later next week (around Thursday December 1), but the ECMWF (Euro) does not agree in its deterministic run. The GFS then builds a ridge close to the west coast that could make it difficult for additional storms. The EC ensemble mean keeps us under a trough through the extended. Right now, I’d lean toward the idea of active weather continuing, but it’s certainly not a sure thing. The good news is that generally cool weather should continue so snowmaking can aid with any natural snow we get and we’ll have plenty of terrain opening in the next 10 days.
P.S. Want to partner with Wasatch Snow Forecast and have your brand or product support our website and the service we provide to Utah snow enthusiasts? Sponsorship will help us cover the costs of maintaining this site while also being seen millions of times this season. If you’re interested in advertising and lending some support, please send an email to Marketing@wasatchsnowforecast.com with your name and business/product and we can provide you a price sheet for advertising opportunities for the upcoming season!