Part 1 wrapping up…

Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 6:30 am

3 PM Sunday update: 

Our moist and unstable northwest flow did a good job keeping snow showers going through our “lull” today, especially in LCC.  Right now it looks like accumulations in the Cottonwoods are 16-20″ in BCC with 20-24″ in LCC.  Scattered light snow should continue this evening but will likely increase in intensity during the early morning hours.  Another 3-6″ is likely by morning in the Cottonwoods with perhaps an additional 3-6″ tomorrow during the day Monday.  If that verifies, totals in Upper LCC could at least threaten that magical 3 foot mark we were hoping for!

Other areas of the Wasatch aren’t as favored by this type of pattern but could still see a few more inches late tonight and tomorrow….  One last wave is possible north of Provo on Tuesday… This is much farther south than models were showing yesterday when they had the area dry on Tuesday.  We could see a few more inches to soften up Tuesday turns as well.

Alta was closed today due to unsafe conditions.  If they are able to open tomorrow, conditions should be epic.  Now’s a good time to call your boss and saw you’re sick!

A quick look at the extended forecast shows dry weather Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  Models have been trending toward a chance for active weather returning next weekend into the first week of December.  All models show a trough in the Eastern Pacific, but they differ on when/if the trough progresses inland.   We should know more in the morning… WSF



Everything went mostly according to plan yesterday.  Warm advection moved through during the late morning hours with valley rain and heavy, wet mountain snow for a couple hours.  We then saw a lull for a few hours before the front moved through during the late afternoon.  Last chair in the Cottonwoods was awesome!   The front was mostly through by 7 pm and ever since we’ve been relying on orographic showers.

The forecast was for 8-14″ overnight with the possibility for more in the Cottonwoods.  That seems to be generally what the upper elevations received, although lower elevations are generally under 6″ due to the initially high snow levles.  Alta and Brighton are both reporting 15″ in the past 24 hours.  Alta-Collins snow gauge showing snow depth increasing from 13″ to 26″ since yesterday at 11am.  So this supports that amount.  The PC side, as expected, saw a little bit less.  Canyons camera showing at least 7″ up top…


I suspect they actually received a bit more than that.  If you watch the timelapse, you can see a significant amount of snow blowing off the measurement pad.

Today is a lull with showers in the morning becoming less frequent in the afternoon.  Tonight we should see things pick up again with an additional 4-8″ likely by mid-day Monday, mainly in areas favored by northwest flow.

Looks like we dry out for the holiday and into next weekend… I’m heading out to enjoy today’s snowfall now! Will take a longer look at the extended forecast tonight…



This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .
  • Steelydad

    Did I just read on Altars website that it’s CLOSED until 1PM? They must be joking, right?

  • Steelydad

    Sorry… that should read “Alta’s” website.

  • Jake

    Which resorts are favorited by northwest flow?

  • jack

    North, northwest, and west aspects will be favored by this flow. So, the resorts in the cottonwoods will do well. As the northwest winds travel across the surface, they run into the north facing aspects of the little and big cottonwood canyons, the winds are forced up and over. When this happens, the air loses it’s capacity to hold moisture, resulting in precipitation. Since the clouds drop more of their moisture in little or big cottonwood canyons, we see less snowfall at PC, Deer Valley, etc. Orographic lifting is the term used to describe this, it means an air parcel is lifted as a result of topography.

  • Jake

    Thanks jack!

  • Jake

    Hey! What day would be deeper for powder at brighton? Monday or Tuesday?