Storm is exiting the region today after dumping 6-12″ of snow above 8,000 feet in the Cottonwoods and along the PC ridge. Other areas of the Wasatch generally saw under 6″. Dry and benign weather expected for the 10 days or so…
We did as well as could possibly be expected this weekend from this storm. I hiked yesterday and measured 6″ at the base of my hike and about 10″ when I topped out at about 10,000 feet. Additional showers overnight, would not be surprised if we saw a foot in a few select locations of Upper Big or Little Cotttonwood. Temps will remain cool enough for snow-making overnight and during the morning hours for the next few days.
The big question last night was “would we get a lake effect snow band to setup?” Conditions weren’t ideal, but I’ve seen bands develop in less than ideal conditions before. We got our answer around 5pm last night. A weak band developed over northwestern Salt Lake County. The band did not strengthen much throughout the night and slowly moved west into Tooele County which saw an inch or two of snow near i-80. So while we did get a weak lake effect band, it didn’t do us much good.
Unfortunately, the forecast does not feature much to talk about. We’ll have a few systems move to our north along the U.S. – Canadian border over the next few days but they will likely only bring us a few clouds. Yesterday’s 12z EC dropped a cold system down the Continental Divide early next week and brought it far enough west to bring Northern Utah a bit of snow. However the 00z run is now about 200 miles farther east and therefore only brings cooler air and a few clouds. The GFS also now has this feature but is even further east. Doesn’t look likely to do much for us at this time….
Overall, the ridge looks dominant for at least the next ten days. Some long range models are trying to break it down by mid-month while others keep it holding strong. Only time will tell. To be honest, the best case scenario right now is that we melt off everything that fell this weekend and start fresh when the snow arrives again. However, I don’t think we’ll have much luck melting it off on north-facing aspects. We could be dealing with a weak, rotted facet in the backcountry again…