Something brewing for next week…?

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 7:01 am

Thursday AM update:

Similar forecast to yesterday… Weak system will move through late Friday into early Saturday and will cool us down a bit and bring perhaps a few inches at best to the high elevations.  We will rapidly warm up again on Sunday and Monday.  Large trough will dig into the Great Basin on Tuesday and will likely bring precipitation to at least Northern Utah through Thursday of next week.  Models still disagreeing on exact timing/strength of this system, but it certainly looks like there will be a good possibility for late season powder.  Unfortunately, another round of closures strikes again on Sunday and the only mountains to my knowledge that will still be open are Alta and Snowbird, and Alta may only be operating Fri-Sun…. Still, there is plenty of snow in the backcountry if resort skiing is not an option for you.  I’ll try to keep you updated this weekend as to how next week’s system is looking.




Spring-like weather with only small chances for showers will continue through the weekend. Potential for a stronger system for the middle of next week.


Updates as of late have been short and sweet — partly because the Spring brings a lack of interest and readership drops dramatically even during stormy periods,  also because our Wx over the last 10 days hasn’t been overly exciting with only small systems here and there.

This type of pattern will continue into early next week.  A cold front moved through yesterday evening and cooled us off a bit.  A trailing disturbance will provide a small chance for a few afternoon showers in the mountains today.

Another disturbance will move through late Friday through Saturday.  Again, only light accumulations expected over the highest elevations.

Dry to start next week but a change is in store.  Models continue to hint at a stronger system for the middle of next week.  GFS has been the strongest consistently with this feature.  EC finally moved toward the GFS a bit this morning, but is still much weaker.   My guess is we will end up splitting the difference, which means a decent storm is certainly a possibility.  This could end up being one of the last opportunities for powder, so we’ll keep an eye on it.


P.S.  I’m off to the other side of the world on business tomorrow.  I should have all the available resources to continue making forecasts, however the times at which posts go up will likely be a bit off.    fyi

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .