Indecisive Mother Nature . . . (Tuesday PM update)

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 8:36 am

Update: Today has been an exciting day for weather forecasters and snow lovers alike because models have been developing a consensus about the potential for storms to start rolling in mid to late next week.  While the signs are encouraging and we here at WSF have been forecasting this change for some time now, I’m still not willing to jump on the band wagon 100% as of yet because this year has been a tease.  I’m going to go ahead and give the EC and GFS and few more runs to before I feel comfortable with a more optimistic forecast.  I’ll update tomorrow with any developments…. Stay tuned… Keep the positive thoughts flowing . . . .

Previous discussion:

Splitting trough will move though the area tonight with the bulk of its already limited moisture heading east of the area.  Wasatch should see just a few light snow showers tonight with an inch or so possible.  Valleys will just have a chance for light snow with little or no accumulation expected.

Ridge will re-establish itself tomorrow and continue through the weekend with temps rising to above normal in the mountains and inversions developing in the valleys.

Models really start to diverge next week.  Euro has been showing a fairly moist and cool flow with deeper troughs affecting the West.  GFS is almost the opposite showing a flat ridge pushing systems into the Pacific NW and British Columbia.  We have no confidence in either solution so for now we will just split the difference which would give Utah a chance for snow as systems move primarily to our north.  The next few days will be interesting to see which model gives or if they just find a middle ground.

No definite snow in the picture yet but good signs are still out there with the PNA and AO still going negative and stratospheric warming continuing to take place over the arctic.  Hang tough . . .


This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .